From the 17th July the Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (ESOS) is now a legal requirement. The scheme enforces compulsory energy audits for all large enterprises who qualify for ESOS and are not fully covered by ISO 50001, to encourage the uptake of cost effective energy efficiency measures.
ESOS is only applicable to large enterprises (excluding public bodies). For the purposes of the scheme these are defined as:
- An undertaking having 250+ employees
- An undertaking that has a turnover of £42.5m+ and a balance sheet of £36.5m+
- Being part of a corporate group which includes an undertaking that meets either of the above criteria.
Under the proposed scheme businesses will be required by law to comply with the scheme at least every four years by:
- Providing a measurement of the energy use of their business (including electricity, gas, renewables, transport and industrial processes)
- Commissioning on-site energy audits
- Documenting the identification of cost effective energy efficiency recommendations
- Reporting compliance to the scheme administrator – The Environment Agency (EA)
- Maintain an ESOS Evidence Pack
Qualification for the first phase takes place on 31st December 2014 with the subsequent compliance date set for 5th December 2015. It is mandatory for any energy audits be overseen, conducted or reviewed by an approved ESOS Lead Assessor and reported to the EA by this time.
Synapsys products installed in your buildings and facilities can help towards complying with the new legal requirements for monitoring, documenting and maintaining your evidence packs. For more information about how our products can help please contact us by telephone or by email.
For more information about the Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme please click here